February 18, 2017

Billy Goat Nursery Rhyme

Dear friends,
The rhyme you are going to read today is meant for children, but, in fact, their parents will surely find some hints having to do with their adult life. Meet Billy Goat – an ill-starred husband and Nanny Goat – his spouse who knows that her beauty and charm are worth paying for.


Billy Goat has to face a dilemma - either to get Nanny Goat dolled up and let her look like a million dollars, or to lose her if he fails to meet her expectations. Billy Goat, though, is no fool to sell all the property he is possessed of in order to pamper his spouse’s whims.

Billy Goat cartoon
Billy Goat

Suddenly, in the course of their conversation, Billy’s thoughts take quite an unpredictable turn… Why doesn’t he marry another girl?

Nanny Goat cartoon
Nanny Goat

And now let’s get back to our young English learners. While writing this poem, I was thinking of expanding their active vocabulary with the words from the topic “Clothes” (to purchase a cardigan, a mink stole, a silk dress) and some grammatical structures like “I don’t mind doing something”, “How much is…”, “I’d much rather do something” and so on. As for the examples of the Future Simple Tense, you’ll find them in abundance.

Billy Goat nursery rhyme

I hope lovely animal characters skillfully sketched by Dmitriy Nesterov will add to the pleasure of watching the cartoon.

Billy Goat, Billy Goat!
Will you buy me
A new coat?

- Nanny Goat, Nanny Goat,
I don’t mind
Buying a coat,
But your present one’s
Still new,
While I’ve got dollars,
But a few.

- Billy Goat, Billy Goat!
You’ll have to bargain
Willy-nilly,
Otherwise I’ll find the one
Ready to purchase a cardigan,
A mink stole, a silk dress,
And if he proposes,
I would say “Yes”.

- Nanny Goat, Nanny Goat,
How much is a new coat?

- It will cost you a good deal;
You must sell a barn, a mill,
Then, perhaps, you’ll have enough,
Or you’ll sell some little stuff.

- Nanny, shall I sell my horse?
I’d much rather get divorced!
Then I’ll marry Barbie goat,
‘cause, of late she’s bought a coat!

No comments:

Post a Comment